Monday, January 6, 2014

Not Too Late For Resolutions

I know it's been almost a week since we all rang in the New Year, but I hadn't gotten around to jotting down my resolutions for the blogosphere yet.

I had been thinking of resolutions in the days leading up to January 1, but hadn't really settled on anything. On New Year's Eve we went to our friend's house for a party, and they handed out a list of questions to prompt resolutions. It may have been targeted at their kids, but it certainly got my wheels turning.

Who says resolutions have to be huge and all consuming and, quite frankly, boring? Lose weight. Save money. Shouldn't I be doing this anyway? I mean...I'm not. But shouldn't I be? And isn't my boring, adult life already filled with this kind of stuff? Go to work, do the dishes, pay the bills.

 I have decided 2014 is a year to live. I mean, really live. Give more time to the things I enjoy, instead of worrying about the shrinking numbers in my bank account or fretting about eating another donut and how many more miles I might have to run if I do. My resolutions this year are about doing some things to enrich the quality of my life. I have all these hobbies that are really only half hobbies. For instance, I like baking, but I'm no expert. I enjoy decorating, but I really don't know the first thing about it. These are the things I profess to love, these things are supposed to be my passions. (Therein lies the paradox.)

source
So, my resolutions this year...
  1. Travel somewhere new.
  2. Bake more from scratch and begin building a recipe collection.
  3. Study interior design.
  4. Take a calligraphy class.
  5. Begin learning Spanish.
  6. Read more.
Some of these things I love. Some I have just always wanted to do or try. They all make me feel improved and excited and happy. And that's just the way I want to begin my new year.


P.S. You should always eat another donut - how is that even a question?

1 comment:

  1. Megan, I just love you. I wish you lived closer. I have been having the exact same thoughts this year! Why am I wasting even a second of my time doing something that doesn't make me happy? I plan on taking a few graphic design classes this year to improve my skill and overall self. I already have a degree, so I'm just doing it for fun! And it's so exciting to me! We've also started making more things from scratch: taco seasoning, flour, even pancake mix. It feels great to know we're bettering ourselves through learning and that they are things that truly make us happy. Thanks so much for sharing!

    P.S. I definitely ate a piece of cake for breakfast this morning. It was there. It was delicious. I regret nothing!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10